Can't Wait 'Til You're Mine!

Prior to the Oscar buzz, Husband and I got a night out to see Juno in the theater. I didn’t want to have my hopes set too high that this movie was going to rock, but secretly, the Hope Chest in my soul was brimming with promise. All my eggs were in this movie basket, seeing as I can’t think of another movie until May (Sex and the City Movie please!) that I care to see (screw off Fool’s Gold, no one cares!).

Seeing Juno is like going out on a really great first date, where you like the guy so much you can’t remember the specifics of what he looks like, only how you felt when you were with him. This is what happened to me immediately after watching this movie; I couldn’t quote any of the funny lines (although the phrase “pork swords” will remain unforgettable) but I just knew that this was one of my new favorite movies. Juno, for me, was how boys must have felt watching Superbad. I enjoyed Superbad but it’s uncomfortably funny, not a movie that I would want to watch with my mom, but something I can kind of enjoy alone while I file my bill statements or fold towels. However, having been a turd of a girl for most of my high school existence, complete with shiny black plastic combat books and lunchbox purses, Juno made me feel 16 again, in the best possible way. While I managed to not get pregnant in high school, I did have a pretty foul mouth for someone my age and, even though I didn’t have my own Paulie Bleeker, my gay boyfriends managed to make me feel like the only girl in the world and for that, they’ll always have a special place in my heart (but not in my womb). Juno manages to feel brand new and yet totally comfortable all at the same time; I so wish that this were a real girl that I knew, but in my heart of hearts, I know she would only destroy me.

So, move over Sweeney Todd, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, because screw the Oscars! Juno receives my Can’t Wait to Own This on DVD Award for being the most re-watchable, touching, funny and magical movie I saw last year. Thank you Diablo Cody for making a movie that made me feel the same way that My So-Called Life made me feel, minus the wanting to “curl up in a corner and cry for three days” feeling that the latter provides. Juno is a must see, must own, hetero-girl crush in the making kind of movie. I’m fairly positive that it’s not going to win for best picture, but my Hope Chest is filling up again, just in case.

No comments: